** NOTE: Concussion training is now included as part of the coaches training process. The content below is for informational purposes only. **
All GSA coaches are required to complete a concussion training course before they will be allowed to coach their teams in either practices or games. Per Ohio Revised Code 3707.52 as enacted by Ohio HB 143 of the 129th General Assembly, the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) is required to post free training programs that train coaches and referees in recognizing the signs and symptoms of concussions and head injuries.
The three following free online trainings have been approved by ODH for coaches and referees and are accepted by GSA:
1. National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Concussion in Sports
This free, online course is available through the NFHS. Click the “order here” button and complete a brief registration form to take the course. Follow these steps to complete the course:
Click on the button that says, "Please login to order." In the window that appears, click "Register Now."
- When your registration is complete, "order" the free concussion course offered along the left hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you will be charged for the course, there is no cost.
- Once you have completed "checkout," you will be able to take the free online course.
- When you have completed and passed the course, you have the option of printing a certificate of completion.
2. National Alliance for Youth Sports (NAYS) Concussion Training
This free, online course is available to all coaches and parents. To register, pass the course and obtain a certificate of completion, follow these steps:
- Click the “Sign Up” button and complete the brief registration form to create a free account.
- From your account, select the “Go to clinic” link to begin.
- On the overview page, select the “I want a certificate for this training” button to satisfy the Ohio law and obtain a certificate of completion.
- Answer all of the exam questions for each section. When complete, an “Access Your Certificate” link will appear under the "More Resources" tab. Click this for a printable version of your certificate.
Existing NYSCA coaches and NAYS parents can also add concussion training for free to their existing account.
3. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) HEADS UP to Youth Sports: Online Training
CERTIFICATES OF COMPLETION:
All three training courses offer a certificate of completion upon successful passage.
- NAYS chapters can track coaches who have completed the course and are members of the NYSCA. To find your own certificate of completion, log in to your free account again, click on the “Go to clinic” link for "Concussion Training" and select the “Access Your Certificate” link.
- The CDC course does not allow you to search for or track course completion. In order to print your certificate of completion, use the print button found within the training. You will not be able to print the certificate using your tool bar or keyboard, and you will be unable to return later to search for your certificate.